Showing Support to Fellow Female Entrepreneurs
Ways women entrepreneurs can support other women in business
A recent study by the University of Sydney found that women make up around 25% of all entrepreneurs in the Philippines. This percentage is likely to be even higher, as many women entrepreneurs operate informally and are not included in formal surveys and data collection. The pandemic, for instance, has seen a significant spike in women-owned business due to the many job losses and restrictions the many lockdowns have caused. The many small- and medium-sized enterprises put up by women has positively impacted the Philippine economy.
Despite representing a significant portion of the entrepreneurial landscape, women entrepreneurs often face unique challenges and obstacles.
Why is it important to support women-owned businesses in the Philippines?
There are a number of reasons why it is important to support women-owned businesses in the Philippines. First, women-owned businesses often face unique challenges and obstacles that their male counterparts do not. This includes everything from access to capital and markets, to gender-based discrimination and sexual harassment.
Second, women-owned businesses play an important role in promoting gender equality and empowering women economically. When women have their own businesses, they are able to gain financial independence and make their own decisions about how to spend their money. This can help to close the gender gap both within businesses and in society more broadly.
Finally, supporting women-owned businesses can also be beneficial for the local economy. Studies have shown that when women are economically empowered, they tend to reinvest a larger portion of their earnings back into their families and communities. This can help to create a positive feedback loop of economic growth and development.
So now that we know why it’s important to support women-owned businesses in the Philippines, let’s look at some specific ways you can do so.
1. Make an effort to buy from women-owned businesses when possible. Almost every type of women-owned business exists, so you can basically buy everything you need from a female entrepreneur. From clothing to food, fitness equipment to electronics, there is an infinite number of options for you to choose from. Sheroes hosts a digital bazaar to support women entrepreneurs and give them an avenue to grow, so make sure you check out our Sheroes Digital Bazaar!
2. Use your social media platforms to raise awareness about women-owned businesses and help them to promote their products or services. This is one of the easiest ways you can actually help, especially since personal promotions are more effective than paid ones. Share their posts, drop a comment, or provide a testimonial to encourage more people to support these businesses.
3. If you have the experience and the means, consider mentoring or partnering with other women-owned businesses. Set up an online workshop or take a more personal approach and take a new women entrepreneur under your wing.
4. Advocate for policies and regulations that support the growth of women-owned businesses.
5. Invest in women-owned businesses, either financially or through in-kind contributions.
6. Join or support organizations that work to promote and develop women-owned businesses.
7. Speak up against gender discrimination and sexual harassment in the workplace and create a safe and supportive environment for women entrepreneurs.
By taking even just one of these actions, you can help to create a more level playing field for women entrepreneurs in the Philippines. So, what are you waiting for? Start supporting women-owned businesses today! Read more about how you can encourage and support women entrepreneurs at Sheroes!
Post A Comment